Over the past 25 years, Dr. Chapra has conducted over 70 workshops and shortcourses in the conducted over 70 workshops and shortcourses in the United States and abroad. Some of the courses are listed below:
- Toxicant Modeling in Lakes and Reservoirs, Workshop, NALMS 13th International Symposium, Seattle, WA, December 4, 1993.
- Modeling of Eutrophication in Impoundments, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil, July 29-August 2, 1996.
- Water-Quality Modeling of Lakes and Reservoirs, Beginners Workshop, NALMS 16th International Symposium, Minneapolis, Minn, November 13, 1996.
- Water-Quality Modeling Workshop for TMDLs, Washington State Department of Ecology, Olympia,WA, June 25-28, 2001.
- Application of QUAL2K for River Eutrophication TMDLs, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, SD, July 10-13, 2007.
- Introduction to Water Quality Issues and Modelling, SA Water Research Commission and SA Dept. of Water Affairs and Forestry, Pretoria, South Africa, January 21-22, 2008
- QUAL2K Hands-One Water Quality Workshop. Department of Environmental Engineering; Institute of Environment and BioSystem Research; Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Republic of Korea, July 21, 2011.
- Advanced Water Quality Workshop with Qual2K. Santiago, Chile, Ministerio del Medio Ambiente, March, 21-22, 2012.
- Lake Water Quality Modeling with Lake2K. University of Brescia, Department of Civil Engineering, Architecture, Land and Environment, Brescia, Italy, May 29-June 1, 2012.
- Seminario Internacional: Modelación de la calidad del agua superficial. Universidad de los Andes, Bogota, Columbia, June 19-22, 2012.
Presentations range from general overviews to specific topic areas and models. Lately, Dr. Chapra's book Surface Water Quality Modeling has been serving as the course notes. The book's coverage is broad enough that it allows customization of the needs of the attendees. For example, it emphasizes particular waterbodies (e.g., streams), pollutants (e.g., nutrients) or models (e.g., QUAL2K) for specific audiences. He also tries to mix lectures with hands-on modeling.
Click here for hands on QUAL2K exercises.